Dazzlingly White

We survived the Eldrazi winter, so it is time for a White spring now.

Writing today's article was a little awkward, because it felt like I had written most of the content already before. Normally repetition would be a bad thing, but when the results of the first big tournament in the new Standard format confirm just about everything I was predicting during the pre-sale phase, that is a pretty sweet reason to say “I told you so”.

White is nuts

I was talking about white cards a lot in the past weeks and predicted their dominance in the new Standard format. Maybe you thought I was stupid, or maybe you listened and bought all the white cards you will be playing, and facing, (and selling at much higher prices) over and over again in the upcoming months. At the SCG Open in Baltimore eight of the nine most represented archetypes on day 2 were using white cards. Or to be more exact, 86 out of 97 decks, played by at least 5 players, were partially white.

W/U Humans – 23

W/B Midrange – 15

Bant Company – 13

G/R Eldrazi – 11

W/B Eldrazi – 10

Esper Dragons – 7

W/G Humans – 7

R/W Eldrazi – 6

G/W Tokens – 5

This is even more impressive realizing that we have returned to a world of 2- and 3-colour decks. Given a completely even distribution every colour would have a 40% chance to be in any 2-colour deck and a 60% chance to be part of any 3-colour deck. That is far from the 88% we saw white have in the most played decks of day 2 and the 87,5% white decks in the top 8.

I am not going to repeat that Avacyn and Declaration in Stone are absurd and that Jace is still good, instead I will list the cheaper rare cards that you should look at as a Standard player. The focus will be on cards, which I have not talked about that much, but could see some gains, as they were not legal or not that great in the last weeks of the former format, but are now.

Bant Company

Tireless Tracker

Lumbering Falls

Sylvan Advocate

Dromoka's Command

Ojutai's Command

Lantern Scout


W/x Humans

Kytheon, Hero of Akros / Gideon, Battle-Forged

Hanweir Militia Captain / Westvale Cult Leader

Thalia's Lieutenant

Always Watching

Knight of the White Orchid

Archangel of Tithes

Dragonlord Ojutai


W/B Eldrazi / W/B Control

Anguished Unmaking

Sorin, Grim Nemesis

Eldrazi Displacer

Thought-Knot Seer

Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim

Linvala, the Preserver


Secure the Wastes


U/R Control

Thing in the Ice / Awoken Horror

Drownyard Temple

Fevered Visions

Pyromancer's Goggles

Fall of the Titans

Jori En, Ruin Diver


Under the radar

The most impressive “under the radar” card of the weekend was Tireless Tracker, used in Bant Company, Humans decks splashing green, and W/G Tokens. It is not the best defender against a horde of white 2/1s, but it is a great top deck in the mid and late game, when you have the time and mana to turn your dead draws (lands) into action. It has already jumped from 50 cents towards 2 € by now, but it will probably keep rising further, as this fragile version of Courser of Kruphix will see a lot of play, especially while Collected Company remains in the format. In the U.S. the Tracker has spiked towards $8, so stop being sad that you didn't buy them at 0,50 € and consider buying them now before they cost even more.

Thalia's Lieutenant is quickly trending upwards as well, and rightfully so, as it is the pivotal point of the Humans deck, which has proven to be tier one by putting four players into the top8 in Baltimore! Get your copies fast if you haven't yet.

If you bought in early on these cards I would wait a little longer before locking in your profits, as they will continue their upwards trend for a while.

1 Comentario

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consetetur sadipscing elitr, sed diam